Friday, October 15, 2010

Institute for Information Infrastructure Protection (I3P) Meeting at MITRE





After teaching my undergraduate class in Transportation & Logistics this past Wednesday, I was picked up by Dr. Kevin Fu of the CS Department at UMass Amherst (who also taught his undergrad class that morning) and we headed to the Institute for Information Infrastructure Protection (I3P) meeting that was taking place at MITRE in Bedford, MA.

I3P is a consortium of academic institutions, government labs, and nonprofit organizations that focuses on information infrastructure protection. This consortium is led by Dartmouth College. Its new Research Director, Dr. Shari Pfleeger, formerly of Rand, assumed this position on September 1, 2010. She is terrific and very knowledgeable and dynamic.

UMass Amherst is a member and Dr. Fu is the rep from UMass while I have been appointed the alternate. The member map is available here. The talks and brainstorming sessions were terrific over the past two days as were the many conversations that took place during the breaks and at the dinner Wednesday night at the Bamboo restaurant (simply magnificent).

I personally very much enjoyed meeting with consortium members from the University of Idaho, the Idaho National Laboratory, Indiana University, the University of Tulsa, Carnegie Mellon University, the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, SRI International, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, and MITRE. When you get a group of very engaged and smart researchers together, the intellectual discussions are very rewarding and exciting. Also, one can't beat face -to-face communications.

You can find more information on the I3P here.

I was pleased to see my research on transportation, the Braess paradox, and the wisdom of crowds featured in the September 2010 issue of I3P Researchers in the News.