Friday, January 24, 2014

Two Great Upcoming Events at the Isenberg School - Not for Women Only

The weather outside is frigid but there is a lot of energy and warmth around indoors with the beginning of the new academic semester.

I have been more than busy since I am teaching two classes that I am very excited about and am also serving on a search committee for a faculty position in Systems Engineering. It is always fascinating to hear faculty candidates present their research! I've been bringing my doctoral students to these "job" talks since one can learn a lot from them.

At the Isenberg School we have two upcoming events, which are not for women only.

On Saturday, February 8th, in our lovely Isenberg atrium, the Inaugural Women in Business Isenberg conference is taking place. It is being organized by the Isenberg Women in Business Society. More information is available here.  I am especially delighted that Christina Calvaneso will be coming back and will be a panelist. Christina worked as a Student Center Associate at the Virtual Center for Supernetworks that I founded and did such a great job that I nominated her for a Leaders of the 21st Century Award, which she received from UMass upon graduation. Her area of concentration was Operations Management.

Also, on February 14th, which is Valentine's Day, the UMass Amherst INFORMS Student Chapter and I  will be hosting Dr. Laurie Garrow of Georgia Tech in our UMass Amherst INFORMS Speakers Series. The notice is below.
 
 More information on Dr. Garrow can be found here. Come join us for refreshments at 10:30AM preceding Dr. Garrow's presentation at Isenberg Room 108.

Stay warm!