Wednesday, June 18, 2014

A Thank You to the University of Catania for The Big Surprise

This past Friday I had the pleasure of giving the talk, Equilibria and Dynamics of Supply Chain Competition with Information Asymmetry in Quality and Minimum Quality Standards. The talk was based on a paper with my doctoral student, Dong Michelle Li. The paper is now in press in the journal Computational Management Science.


I was hosted by my dear friend and collaborator, Professor Patrizia Daniele, who is also a Center Associate of the Virtual Center for Supernetworks at the Isenberg School of Management that I direct. The talk was advertised in the University of Catania newspaper and even though it was the last day of the semester the huge room was almost filled.

We had some added excitement since there was an electric power outage before my presentation but then power was restored just in time.

The audience consisted of undergrads, some of whom were in Professor  Daniele's course on Networks and Supernetworks, Master's and Doctoral students, faculty from many departments, and the Chair of Patrizia's Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Professor Giuseppe Mulone.
After my lecture I had a big surprise!   Professor Mulone presented me with a stunning book about the University, which is the oldest one in Sicily, having been founded in 1434 before Columbus even set sail for America!  He also presented me with the University of Catania Medal from the Rector in recognition of my research and my collaborations and support of  their Operations Researchers. What a wonderful honor!
 Then it was time for lunch and Professor Daniele's husband drove us to a seaside fish restaurant with an amazing view where the variety of food included octopus, squid, shrimp, and many different fishes caught in the Mediterranean that morning!