Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Back at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard

It is great to be back at the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study at Harvard University!
I was a Science Fellow in 2005-2006 at Radcliffe and am now back as a Summer Fellow. 2005-2006 was a dramatic year in which Larry Summers stepped down as President of Harvard and the Dean of Radcliffe, Drew Gilpin Faust, became the first female President of Harvard.

The Radcliffe Yard is beautiful and there is now a lovely building, Byerly Hall, in which all the Fellows have offices. Back in 2005-2006, many of the Science Fellows had offices in Putnam House on Brattle Street.

I have a view from my Harvard office of a fountain and garden that remind me of being back at Oxford University, where I was a Visiting Fellow at All Souls College last year during the Trinity term. 

While a Fellow at Radcliffe I am working on a project on game theory and disaster relief and also on blood supply chains. I will be presenting on my project at Radcliffe on June 21, the first day of summer!

I am very excited about meeting the other Summer Fellows and am delighted that my colleague, Andrea  Nahmod from UMass Amherst, is also a Summer Fellow!

I love interdisciplinary research and being in a truly special place such as the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, surrounded by scientists, novelists, artists, historians, sociologists, anthropologists, and even an archeologist, one can't help but be inspired.

Thank you, Radcliffe, for this great opportunity! It is terrific to be back.