Thursday, May 5, 2011

Two Experts in "Room for Debate" on the UN Population Report Cite My Work

I always enjoy reading the "Room for Debate" in The New York Times, which focuses on experts debating timely topics with comments by readers.

The latest "Room for Debate" topic is on the recently released UN report on the world's population projected to increase to 10.1 billion by 2100. Two of those providing commentary are Dr. Joel Cohen of the Rockefeller University and Dr. Brad Allenby of Arizona State University.

Interestingly, both have cited my work -- Dr. Cohen in his work on the Braess paradox with Frank Kelly, and Dr. Allenby in his work at the Center for Earth Systems Engineering and Management.

In fact, Dr. Allenby, while he was at AT&T, announced my Industrial Ecology Award, which helped to support the founding of the Virtual Center for Supernetworks that I direct. I actuallly received two of these awards, in subsequent years, and enabled some very interesting research on environmental supernetworks and electronic recycling.