Friday, May 13, 2011

2011-2012 Radcliffe Institute Fellows Announced

How well I remember 6 years ago when I received the phone call that I had received a Science Fellowship from the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study and could spend a full sabbatical year at Harvard! It was a fabulous year during which I wrote my Supply Chain Network Economics book plus several research papers and an essay reflecting on that very special year. Most importantly, I relished the time that I had to pursue new collaborations, to work on dynamic networks, and to make new friendships with the other Radcliffe Fellows who represented so many different disciplines. We like to say that we were the best group of Fellows (but probably every class of Radcliffe Fellows thinks the same)!

The 2011-2012 Radcliffe Fellows have now been announced and only 6% of the applicants were successful. That is close to the success rate of my year, as well.

The full list of new Fellows can be found on the Radcliffe Institute website.

I'd like to congratulate the new Fellows and to wish them much success on their projects!

I'd like to also take this opportunity to thank Dean Barbara Grosz, who is stepping down as the Radcliffe Dean. She was the Science Dean of Radcliffe my fellowship year and assumed the position of Dean, when the then Dean, Dr. Drew Gilpin Faust, became the President of Harvard, following Dr. Larry Summers. It was quite the year to be at Harvard.

Dr. Barbara Grosz will be taking a sabbatical at Stanford and will then return to the faculty of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) at Harvard. I wish her all the best! Her ten your service to Radcliffe was extraordinary! She is a role model, top scholar, superb administrator, and wonderful colleague and is one of the first female computer scientists, so she is a trailblazer.

Professor Lizabeth Cohen has been named the Interim Dean of Radcliffe and assumes her new role on July 1, 2011.