Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Scenes from Deerfield Academy and the Deerfield Craft Fair

There is nothing like the Deerfield Craft Fair to mark the "beginning" of Fall in New England and it took place this past weekend under sunny skies and a pleasant breeze.

This venue, which attracts craftsmen and craftswomen from far and wide, is not to be missed and I was especially looking forward to it since next week I will be back in Sweden and I wanted to bring some souvenirs for the staff there that have been so warm and welcoming to me at the University of Gothenburg, where I am a Visiting Professor of Operations Management.

The craft fair did not disappoint but, first, my husband and I took a stroll through Deerfield Academy, which our daughter graduated from last May. As always, we were treated to many greetings from the students, who are so polite (which I love) and even from parents who were at the varsity field hockey game, and even teachers. We had spent two Falls watching our daughter's varsity field hockey games so we were a bit nostalgic, now that she is in college.
 
 
 


And for those of you who read the "popular" press, you probably know who else was in town, which we had suspected, given certain vehicles. Our intuition, was, indeed, correct.

Another special aspect of Deerfield, besides the beauty of the landscape, is its relatively sheltered and private ambience.