Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sending my PhD Student to a Conference in Florida

It has been a very cold and snowy February in Massachusetts and New England.

The snow and freezing temperatures have resulted in many disruptions from our university being closed on 2 successive Mondays to roofs collapsing because of the snow and pipes bursting.

Last February, I had the pleasure of going to a conference in Florida and although it was for a very short time - 2 to 3 days only, just seeing the greenery and experiencing warmth and sunshine outdoors was restorative.

This year, I was hoping to get away for a short period of time to also break the monotony of the snowy landscape that has been the scenery for many weeks. However, since I teach two classes on Mondays I can't afford to go away.

Luckily, I had submitted a paper with one of my doctoral students, Dong "Michelle" Li, and she will be flying to Gainesville, Florida on Sunday to present our paper, Supply Chain Performance Assessment and Supplier and Component Importance Identification in a General Competitive Multitiered Supply Chain Network Model.

She will be speaking at  the World Congress on Global Optimization: WCGO 2015. and will be presenting our paper, bright and early, next Monday morning.

 The full conference program can be downloaded here.


I asked Michelle to bring back a lot of photos so at least we can enjoy Florida vicariously!