Monday, December 7, 2015

All Set to Speak at MIT on Supply Chain Networks Against Time: From Food to Pharma

I have been enjoying working on my presentation: Supply Chain Networks Against Time: From Food to Pharma, that I will be giving this coming Wednesday at MIT.

My host is Professor Carolina Osorio in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at MIT.

I will be speaking as part of the Pierce Lab Seminar Series.

The topic is very near and dear to me - without food or medicines for those who need them, people would not survive. Moreover, many of such "products" are perishable, so that poses extra challenges in terms of the associated supply chains,

I will be focusing on a series of models that we developed, emphasizing their generalized network structure with the use of arc multipliers since these products as they flow down the links of the supply chains perish accordingly. My plan is to highlight work that we have done on food, medical nuclear supply chains, and blood supply chains, as well as on electric power generation and distribution networks, plus a case study in the pharmaceutical industry. Some of the models we presented and solved numerically in a recent book of mine:
The last time I gave a talk at MIT was on September 19, 2014, when several colleagues and I co-organized the Workshop on Cybersecurity Risk Analysis for Enterprises at the Sloan School.

I was a Visiting Associate Professor at MIT in the same group that is hosting my talk on Wednesday as part of a great program that the National Science Foundation then had - Visiting Professorships for Women (VPW). My dissertation advisor at Brown University, Professor Stella Dafermos, had also held one of these NSF VPWs before me. I enjoyed teaching a course there in transportation, having an office in Building 1, and, the year after, upon the receipt of a UMass Amherst "Conti" Fellowship moved to the Sloan School as a Visiting Scholar. That Spring, sadly, Stella Dafermos passed way.

It will be great to be back at MIT to see operations researchers, engineers, and even some friends on the policy side!

I am very much looking forward to seeing colleagues and students there!