Friday, March 16, 2012

Medical Operations Research and More

What an amazing week it has been!

Last Friday, at UMass Amherst, several of my colleagues and I from the Isenberg School spoke at a Risk Management and Optimization Workshop, as part of a new funded project that we are researching through the UMass Innovation Institute. My presentation was on Networks, Performance Assessment, and Vulnerability Analysis, and, given the recent power outages in Boston, which affected even the Prudential Center, it was certainly timely.

Then, last Saturday, I flew to Gothenburg, Sweden, where I have been appointed a Visiting Professor. I just gave my fourth presentation since arriving at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg.

My presentation today was part of the Finance Seminar Series and I spoke on Financial Networks and Disruption Management. The audience was terrific and included faculty, postdocs, doctoral students, and even an Associate Dean, who I mistook for a student.

Next Tuesday, I will be giving a talk at the Chalmers University of Technology, which is also located in Gothenburg, Sweden.

According to the announcement, which is now posted, I will be speaking on Medical Operations Research. I think that the title got changed as the electrons crossed the Atlantic Ocean, but I do like it. The title of my presentation, however, is actually: Perishable Product Supply Chains in Health Care: Models, Analysis, and Computations.

In one week, and on opposite sides of the Atlantic, I will have given 5 talks and the one at Chalmers will make it 6. I am enjoying the questions and discussions tremendously.