Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Photos of Great Public Transportation in Sweden from Ferries to Trams and Busses






One of the highlights of my recent two weeks in Sweden in the city of Gothenburg.was watching and then making use of the public transportation.

The first time that I had lived in Sweden was when my family and I lived in Stockholm in 1996 and I was a Distinguished Guest Professor at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH). I had been selected as the professor to increase the visibility of female academics. It was a magical time and my daughter even attended a Swedish preschool (called daghes).

Not only is Gothenburg the second largest city in Sweden, after Stockholm, but its public transportation system is fabulous and its port fascinating. As someone, who has done a lot of research on transportation and logistics, I really appreciated the ferries, busses, and especially the trams snaking around the lovely city.

Above are some photos that I took of the ferries, trams, and busses. My wonderful host, Dr. Jonas Floden, treated me to a delicious lunch two Saturdays ago and we took the ferry (in the top photo above) to the restaurant and then a tram back to the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg.

I look forward to returning soon to explore this wonderful part of Sweden again.