Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Very Green City

I care about sustainability and I care about cities and we all should, too, since more than half of the world's population now resides in cities.

Cities that are beautiful, where the transportation system works, and where people are out and about inspire me. Of course, it also helps when there are many cultural activities, interesting sights and sites, and the food is delicious and within easy reach.

This time I am living in Gothenburg, Sweden next to Chalmers University, which is up on a big hill. I have lived on my previous visits on Storgatan and on Vasaplatzen. I trek down to work at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg where I am a Visiting Professor this year through the woods -- literally. Going down is easy but going up is also good for the heart and the mind.

Today, since it is a Saturday, we ventured to the Gothenburg Botanical Gardens and they are magnificent. The photos below I took there -- enjoy!

Gothenburg is a very green city and wandering around it one is welcomed, at this time of the year,  by the fragrance of lilacs and other blossoms, as well as that of many floweing trees.
And when you need a break from walking and hiking you can stop at the cafe in the gardens.